Thursday, October 17, 2024

 Happy Thursday Everyone! I hope you are having a good week! I am enjoying the cool temps! 


Calendar Dates: 

Oct. 18- Spirit Day

Oct. 28-31 Parent Teacher Conferences

Oct. 30- Halloween Parade @ 2:30

Oct. 31- No School/PTC

Nov. 1- No School


Conferences- Make sure you sign up for a time for conferences on JMC. They start on October 28 and go through the 31st. I can't believe we are already doing this! Where has the time gone?  I sent out an email earlier this week to the people I am missing. 

October 30- The Halloween Parade will be at 2:30. Kids should pack their Halloween costumes in their bags that day. You are welcome to come! Kids can go home with their parents after the parade. 

November 1- Dress Code change- no more shorts until March. 

Reading- This week we are continuing to work on our story Airborn.  The spelling posttest was today! Sorry, I forgot to send out an email yesterday to let you know so they could practice with you!  They will probably be testing over the story next week. After that I'd like to start working on Halloween stories. 

Math- We are finishing up our adding and subtracting of decimals and moving into multiplication. That will actually start on Friday! There may be times I allow them to use a calculator or do the multiplication mentally, but most times they will show their work. I will also be giving them a multiplication table to use when they are working their problems out. I still want them to learn their facts, but when we are working the problems- they need to work at solving it. I don't want them wasting their time trying to figure it out. The faster they get at knowing them automatically, the easier it will be in the future for them. 

Religion- They are working on their posters for the Mysteries of the Rosary. They will be hung in the halls for you to see during conferences!

Class Meeting- Today we had an impromptu class meeting. The end of recess was busy for Mrs. Sickels with the 5th graders. I won't go into those details, but we had a conversation about our class rules and expectations. Mainly we treat each other with kindness and respect. We include others. We don't judge others because they aren't like us. We accept each other for who we are.  It's typical at this time of year that we start to get bossy or a little short with our classmates because we've been with each other now for a while. We also tend to forget that not everyone likes the same things or has the same abilities or talents. That's okay! We are all different, but made in God's image. We need to remember that.  It's easy to judge others , but wouldn't it be nicer if we could just accept everyone for who they are and not for what they wear, how they look, or things they say? I told them that they are my kids during the day at school. Mine! I want them to be able to come into my room and know that they are loved and accepted by me and their classmates. They can be free to be who they are in my room! I won't put up with the other stuff. I LOVE your kids! This is a TERRIFIC bunch! I love that they can make me laugh or smile at any moment! I love how they will try anything new! They will do their best even if it means they don't always like it! They make coming to work each day a joy and not really "work" at all. So hopefully tomorrow at recess when I am on duty- I won't see the issues they had today! Please know it didn't involve everyone, but I just thought it was time to have a Come to Jesus meeting. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am going to Indianola on Saturday. My niece's soccer team is playing against Simpson. I know Olivia probably won't see any playing time, but I just want to see her face! 

God Bless, 

Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment